terça-feira, 27 de abril de 2010

On following the plan!

I´ve alway wondered what it is like to be one of those people. You know, one of those people who never forget to do their homework, never got caught with a fun novel hidden inside their math book, know exactly what they plan to do when they grow up and actually follow through with it. Because I have this alien DNA that was just never me. In fact everything I did or said was always slightly off. I suffer from severe insomnia from my very early childhood, so I used to hang out with my imaginary friend Daniel instead of trying to get myself to sleep again. I also had this whole world going on inside my head, multiple stories developing all at once. Could I behave and act like a good little girl? No... I had to lead a game of Sam says during arts and crafts time at pre school. I got sent to the babies class as a punishment. They made me just sit on a high stool in the middle of the classroom for endless hours(Ok, it might have been just a few minutes, but it seemed like forever). Oh, and yeah, those people probably don´t have ADD and blabber on completely out of topic for five minutes until they remember what they meant to say at first. You got the point, right? I was a bit of an oddball. But I never had problems defining what I wanted or liked. Try to push me into doing anything and hell, I´ll fight it like crazy and most likely never do it. Somehow my parents never realised that.
So at the age of seven all I wanted was to become a marine biologist, live in Jacques Cousteau´s boat and travel the world taking care of marine wildlife. For a few years that was my dream. I watched every documentary that involved sharks, fish, islands, boats, reefs and read every scientific magazine known to men. Awesome thing about my parents. Because I acted like a 34 year old, they treated me like one. At least when it came to judging what I could read or watch, which fitted me perfectly. Thanks mom and dad, my IQ is the way it is because I suffered no censorship.
Then ethnic conflicts started all over the place, or at least they started to appear all over my world. So I decided I would be a diplomat.With the peacemaking powers I´d acquired surviving as a middle child between two very feisty sisters, I would fix the world. Or maybe... I could be a war correspondent! That sounded more dangerous and very exciting. Plus, by that age I had discovered I had a power for words. So, yeah, journalist it was. You see where this is going right?
So basically every time I had a plan, life would show me a whole new path and I´d fall in love and decide that maybe that was the right one for me. I became a ESL teacher at 16. And while my high school friends were getting drunk and dating and doing whatever it is that 16 year olds did, I was hanging out with my 35 year old friends. They were all cool and experienced and well traveled. They were exactly the kind of person that I already knew I wanted to be. What that person would do for a living was still up in the air.
Then I graduated from High school and because I had to pick something to study at university, I chose journalism. If I didn´t love, at least I´d be sharpening my writing tools. But writing is writing, what´s not to like? Of course I´d love that course.
Well, it kind of blew. Journalism became a factory, they had little rules and patterns and this and that. And in the end, there was no space to be creative. So to stop myself from quitting, I chose to go abroad. What I always knew I wanted. So I traveled. I lived in the US then moved to Germany. I backpacked through Europe, learned German and saw the world cup. I found out I was in love with great food. I realised I was a natural, intuitive cook and started to consider doing that for real. I feared going back home. But I did it in the end. Because I couldn´t give them all the satisfaction of saying, she doesn´t follow the plan...
And I came back with a plan. Graduate and leave by the end of the following year. And I did just that. And moved again. This time to a lovely little village on the outskirsts of Vienna. And while there, I decided to come to Canada. And here I am . What comes next? I know what I´ll get done by the end of 2013. What comes next? No clue. But that´s the beauty of life, when you don´t plan the next 30 years, there are plenty of options, of paths, of windows and doors open for you. Hell, I started writing this post about one subject and ended up talking about a million others. So there. I don´t have a 30 year plan. And that thought excites me more than knowing what lies ahead.

4 comentários:

  1. Olá!
    Acabei de ler seus 2 blogs inteiros e acho você um exemplo de pessoa batalhadora.
    Eu também fui au pair nos Eua, agora to de volta ao brasil e quero terminar minha faculdade.
    Comecei a fazer alemão em setembro, quando ainda estava nos eua, mas tive alguns probleminhas lá e decidi voltar sem completar meu ano como au pair.
    Agora eu estou querendo ir para alemanha ou austria para melhor o Alemão, que ainda é muito básico.
    Ainda tenho 20 anos, faço 21 em outubro então não sei se devo trancar a faculdade denovo, talvez meio de 2011 ou se espero me formar (que seria final de 2012).
    Se você puder me dar mais dicas eu agradeço.!

    pode me mandar e-mail fi_chahine@hotmail.com é MSN também,pode adicionar!

    Obrigada!

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Olá ! Acabei de ler seus blog e achei demais você ser nova e já ter tanta experiência de vida.
    Eu queria te pedir umas dicas sobre o au pair. Eu faço alemão e gostaria de fazer o programa na áustria ou na alemanha. Gostaria de saber se você foi por agência, como foi toda a sua preparação e se você tem alguma dica para dar para quem quer seguir seus passos haha. Meu email/MSN é: francieliss@hotmail.com
    Obrigada e parabéns pelos blogs.

    ResponderExcluir